Wednesday, August 06, 2014

United States Rankin/Bass postage stamps coming this Fall!


from THE 15th ANNIVERSARY EDITION of THE ENCHANTED WORLD OF RANKIN/BASS:  A PORTFOLIO c. Clay Walker 2006/RICK GOLDSCHMIDT ARCHIVES

About a year and a half ago, I was asked to write and correct The history of RANKIN/BASS' RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER by the United States Post Office.  What a wonderful project, completely giving credit to the people that actually created the classic TV Special and the reason it has been on TV for 50 years:  Arthur Rankin, Jr., Jules Bass (who they mistakingly called SAUL), I added Maury Laws, Romeo Muller, Bernard Cowan, Tony Peters and others!  These are the guys that made the special soooo special.  Get the FIRST DAY issue with all of the extra stuff including the text...I think it will be out around October 23rd.

They showed me the stamp designs and asked myself and Arthur Rankin, Jr. for our opinions.  I am so glad Arthur got to see them and he was very proud.

I wish HALLMARK would have consulted me on their ornament this year.   Rudolph's legs look like they are flopping all over the place.   Years ago, ENESCO called me up at a book signing I was doing at AMAZING FANTASY BOOKS at Easter Time, after seeing me on WGN MORNING NEWS.  They hired me to consult on their RUDOLPH line around 1999.   That line was Amazing!  Nothing has matched it since.  They really cared about the quality and the actual RANKIN/BASS TV Special.

This is a BIG year for the classic RANKIN/BASS TV Special!  I have been asked to speak about THE ENCHANTED WORLD OF RANKIN/BASS at Notre Dame University and we will be doing many special appearances.  We hope to go back to Bermuda and expand the exhibit on Arthur's works.   I wish I could say optimistic things about the BLU RAY and DVD release this year BUT I can not.  Oh well... Onward and Upwards! 

No comments: