Friday, October 08, 2010

RANKIN/BASS' THE YEAR WITHOUT A SANTA CLAUS BLU RAY

c. 1974 RANKIN/BASS PRODUCTIONS/RICK GOLDSCHMIDT ARCHIVES

JINGLE & JANGLE BELLS voiced by my friends the late Bob McFadden and Bradley Bolke

MOTHER NATURE (Rhoda Mann) with her boys

I watched the BLU RAY tonight and THE YEAR WITHOUT A SANTA CLAUS may be the only RANKIN/BASS special to be released in true HD. The rest of the content on the disc is remastered but not in HD including NESTOR, THE LONG-EARED DONKEY and RUDOLPH'S SHINY NEW YEAR. I like the fact that WB does feature the special in true flat ratio without adjustment (The picture is square as it appeared on TV when it originally aired). It looks great and so does the rest of the disc.
There is a 2010 edition of Phyllis McGinley's 1957 book at www.amazon.com I wasn't aware of the fact that Ms. McGinley passed away in 1978. I am sure she was aware and excited to see the story brought to television by RANKIN/BASS!


No comments: