Saturday, March 13, 2010

Josh and I rewatched the movie IRONMAN last night! We love the film and are looking forward to IRONMAN 2 May 7th! I am in an IRONMAN mood and will watch some of the 1966 cartoons later. Tonight, I decided to watch THE INVINCIBLE IRONMAN: 6 part "History of the hero" on disc 2 of the DVD. It perfectly illustrates what went wrong with modern day comic books! The history started out great with Stan Lee, Gene Colan, discussion of George Tuska, etc. Then it went terribly wrong in the late 1970's through today! Writers who believe IRONMAN is a real person and ultimately became an alcoholic, Art that is far from correct anatomy, grim looks on everyone's faces, colors that look like sand on the beach? How did things go so terribly wrong with Comic books? My friends talk about this all the time. You would think people would learn from what has gone before, such as JACK KIRBY, JOHN ROMITA, CARMINE INFANTINO, MURPHY ANDERSON, etc. (I know my friends Alex Ross and Steve Rude have). Well, at least some of the films seem to be on the right track. I know the SPIDER-MAN series was on track with Sam Rami until the whole cast walked out of the fourth film :)

posted by Thomas Frederick

No comments: