Saturday, February 28, 2009

I went back to ALSIP, ILLINOIS today

Standing out in front of the place I spent many happy years at on Rosemary Lane! I rode my tricycle on that sidewalk after the cement was first put in and cut that lawn and the neighbor's lawn countless times.
This place was DOG 'N' SUDS in the early 1970's and became THE FROSTED MUG in the late 1970's. One of the last DRIVE-INs in the area.

I would throw football bombs down the street here with my pal Shaun Rogers as we listened to QUEEN and CHEAP TRICK!

I worked at the McDonald's in Alsip when I turned 16 years old for about a year during High School (I went to MARIST HIGH SCHOOL). We stopped in for some SHAMROCK SHAKES and the place hasn't changed much. It had a horse carousel design and some of the remnants of that are still there. I recognized one of the managers behind the counter today.


On my driveway in Alsip w/ some McDonald's fries in my hand

This bell arrived at PRARIE JR. HIGH around 1976 to celebrate the centenial. As kids, we would throw rocks at it to try to make it ring. We also rode motorcycles down the dirt rode just behind the bell. Shaun Rogers showed me how to ride my first mini bike there.

We had to pay a visit to RUSSO's for a pizza. Still hasn't changed...Great pizza and FREDDIE Sandwiches. It is right next to ARS RECORDING STUDIOS.


My Dad in the backyard of our house at 11730 S. Rosemary lane shortly after it was built around 1966. He later went on to serve 20 years on the Alsip Police Department and eventually became officer friendly.

No comments: