Tuesday, November 11, 2008

THE POLICE: CERTIFIABLE

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the NEW 2 DVD/2 CD set that came out today of THE POLICE for $20 at BEST BUY! I have had a long history with THE POLICE and have followed them straight through their solo careers. This is by far, the BEST they have ever sounded. They took a step away from the band for 20 years and came back to it 4 times better as musicians. Andy's solos are complex and powerful and he use more power chords where appropriate. Sting is filling open spaces with amazing bass runs as he sings and Stewart is at his kinetic BEST! It is to their credit that they took the "Less is more" motto to this tour and just performed as a three piece.
Stewart backstage at the PARK WEST in Chicago around 1991, during a show with his band ANIMAL LOGIC. He is holding up a picture I drew of the band on Duo shade board, back when I was the Editorial cartoonist for THE REPORTER NEWSPAPERS. The band signed it as well.
This is me circa 1985, when THE ARTISTS (Now STARVING ARTISTS) performed as "sort of" a POLICE TRIBUTE band to get gigs. I played the STING/ANDY SUMMERS parts, since I was the guitarist and lead singer.

No comments: