Monday, January 18, 2010

RANKIN/BASS' KID POWER



With this being the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., I thought I would do a posting on the RANKIN/BASS series that did a lot to support his values...RANKIN/BASS' KID POWER. The series was designed by newspaper cartoonist Morrie Turner. It featured a group of multi-racial kids (very similar to the LITTLE RASCALS/OUR GANG) and was a fun show that taught morals and values, that were refreshing for a Saturday Morning cartoon series. It also featured some catchy songs by MIKE CURB and THE CURBSTONES. Mike Curb helped launch THE OSMONDS.

I did an interview for a Morrie Turner documentary about four years ago. This series was definitely an example on the diversity of the RANKIN/BASS studios in the early 1970's. I have two volumes on DVD that I am copying for Arthur Rankin right now.
posted by Thomas Frederick

No comments: