Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My ENESCO design for SANTA CLAUS (from the RANKIN/BASS TV Musical spectacular RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER 1964)



A few years after my book THE ENCHANTED WORLD OF RANKIN/BASS: A PORTFOLIO came out, there was an explosion of RANKIN/BASS merchandise. After seeing some of the early product and consulting with CVS and STUFFINS, I decided to get involved with ENESCO CORP and give them some direction on the characters, so they could be as good as they could be. This was an early drawing I did in my sketchbook to make sure that all the details were correct on SANTA CLAUS from RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER. ENESCO did a beautiful job on their first couple of series of RANKIN/BASS RUDOLPH characters and produced some of the best replicas. I also assisted with designs on the other RANKIN/BASS specials and they did a wonderful line on HERE COMES PETER COTTONTAIL as well! They did ornaments from FROSTY THE SNOWMAN and SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN' TO TOWN that were awesome too!

No comments: